Danbury Wal-Mart (CT)

There’s nothing exciting about our camping spot for this night, but the journey was probably one of the craziest days of driving I have ever had. We set out of Delaware with the goal of getting to the other side of NYC by the end of the day. We figured that since it was a Sunday, the traffic would be as light as you could hope for. In the end, it became a very memorable Father’s Day, because we drove through some horrendous traffic full of angry drivers, and emerged unscathed.

Coming up out of Delaware and getting on the Jersey Turnpike, we made decent time except for the occasional slowdown. I had to pull off every 100 miles or so to add more oil to the leaking wheel hub, which was a pain but was something we were willing to put up with since we had reservations at a campground just outside of Boston. Coming into New York City, the roads got really rough and full of traffic. Huge potholes shook Marty and I was certain things were going to break into pieces. We passed by the skyline of Manhattan before coming to a standstill as we tried to cross the George Washington Bridge. Word to the wise: don’t ever cross this bridge in a motorhome of any size. It was absolutely packed, everyone was angry and cutting us off, and the lanes were super tight. It took about 45 minutes to go three miles, and during this time an 18-wheeler drifted over into our lane and our mirrors made contact. Fortunately ours was fine, but his was pushed inwards a lot and I am not sure if it broke. After finally crossing the bridge, we went up through White Plains and crossed into Connecticut. By then it was 6:30 at night and it didn’t make sense to pay for a campsite, so we embraced our rite of passage and stopped in a Wal-Mart parking lot in Danbury, CT.

We have never done this before, but so many motorhome owners have said that it will eventually happen. After the atrocious day of driving, we have never been so happy to see a Wal-Mart. Next door was a Chili’s, and we haven’t eaten at one since we lived in Milledgeville, so we said “why the hell not?” and proceeded to have my Father’s Day dinner at the Danbury Chili’s. That skillet queso has never tasted better! After dinner, we went in to the Wal-Mart to restock some needed supplies, then back out to Marty to sleep. We parked out of the way over where the trucks come and go to unload at the side of the store, and nobody bothered us throughout the night. Cost: absolutely free, except for running the generator a few hours to keep the fridge cold. I won’t say that I am looking forward to staying at a Wal-Mart again anytime soon, but it was certainly a memory that we will have for many, many years. After all, not many people can say that they have taken a shower in a Wal-Mart parking lot. Now we need to finish our trek into Boston!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s